*Just For You*

“This is my prayer for all of us—'Lord, increase our faith.' Increase our faith to bridge the chasms of uncertainty and doubt. . . . Grant us faith to look beyond the problems of the moment to the miracles of the future. . . . Give us faith to do what is right and let the consequence follow.” -Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, September 21

*OUR CrAzY WEEK*

Sunday: We had a wonderful day at the Sizz in the morning and headed down to Nephi after to hang out with the fam! Later in the evening I started getting a little bit of a tummy ache. No big deal..probably just gas right........wrong. By the time we got home around 10:30 I was done for. I decided to go lay down and maybe just sleep it off.....wrong. I woke up at 12 in horrible pain. Tim had just drank 1/2 a bottle of NyQuil so he was out cold and slept right through my moanings. I went to the family room to lay down so I wouldn't disturb him and after about an hour violently threw up in the kitchen sink twice. I decided at about 2 that things were progressing far beyond a typical Jade tummy ache and went to wake up Tim. "Tim wake up. I am so sick".."Oh No".....snooze Tim was back to sleep in about 3 seconds. "NO TIM WAKE UP". Tim skyrockets out of bed. I'm clutching my right side heaved over in pain. "Something is very wrong!" Tim rushes me to the car and flys up to Utah Valley Medical Center in Provo. The drive is probably around 10-15 min...but to me it felt like an hour. Every light I thought I was gunna lose it.

Monday: 2:30 am We finally pull up to the ER and they imediately rush us up to the Labor and Delivery room. First instinct was that I was in preterm labor. Second was that maybe I had a Urinaty Tract Infection that had traveled to my kidneys (been there before..NOT that)...or that maybe I had galstones or something.....nope. They hook me up to like 50 machines and give me a steroid shot to help TJ's lungs develop as much as possible incase I have to deliver in the next few hours. The pain is horrible. I honestly feel as if I am being stabbed in my right side. They decide to give me a shot of morphine........I was out cold. I hardly remember the next hours/day. Monday went by in a blur and all I remember is hearing the words "Pre-eclampsia" and "We need to deliver him today". My mind was racing and all I could keep thinking was "I'm only 30 weeks...this is way too soon." Dr. Broadbent was my doctor and he was incredible with reassuring me that TJ would be ok, but that we had to deliver him or I wasn't going to make it. The only cure for pre-eclamsia is delivery. He asked if I wanted to do a c-section or see how long it would take to induce my labor and deliver vaginally. I did not want to have a c-section and I wanted to give as much time as possible for the steroid to take affect on TJ's lungs. I asked if we could wait and do it vaginally. Dr. Broadbent said yes but that we only had a certain amount of time and if I wasn't dialated then he would have to do a c-section. My baby was healthy and fine, it was a matter of how long my body would last. I asked to wait. In and out of conscienceness I learned that my blood platlids were severely low. They should be around150 and they were at about 65. And my liver enzymes should have been at 10-20 and 30-50 but they had jumped to over 200 and over 500. These were all symptoms of the pre-eclampsia. That was the reason for the severe pain on my right side. My liver was freaking out!

Family began to come and I was so thankful for the help and love. I was basically out of it but I'm sure Tim was in horror. Watching his wife lay in a hospital bed knowing that his baby was coming 10 weeks early. I am so grateful there were people there to support him and comfort him. So many phone calls were made and so much paperwork was signed. I can't imagine what was running through his head, but I know that having our family there kept him from breaking down.

They began to induce labor and I could hardly feel a thing. I'm sure the morphine hadn't quite worn off yet. As time went on my platelids kept dropping, and my liver kept getting worse. I kept praying that I could hold off dialating enough to give TJ time, yet was worried about how bad things were going to get. Eventually the morphine had worn off and I felt the first contraction. It wasn't bad, but my liver pain was starting to come back. I told them they could start the epidural because I did not want to feel that liver pain again. They weren't sure if an epidural would even block that pain but we started anyway. I rolled to my side waiting for the dreaded epidural. (I've heard horror stories about how much they can hurt). But imediately my liver started throbbing. I hardly felt the prick of the epidural, it was nothing compared to this weird side pain. Luckly within a few minutes my entire lower body was numb. Completely numb. I can't really describe that feeling. Only people who have had an epidural before know what I'm talking about. But I was just happy the pain was gone.

As time went on I slowly and even more slowly began to dialate. I started at a 2 then in two or three hours I was at a 3. Two or so more hours went by and I was at a 4. Then a 5.....it was a long process. And all the while my platlids kept dropping 50..45..32. About an hour after I had been dialated to a 5 (It was around 10:00 pm) they had decided we had waited long enough and we were just going to have to do a c-section. The nurse checked me one more time and SUPRISE I was a 10! And she could feel his head. Yep in about 45 min to an hour I went from a 5 to 10. It was awesome. They rushed me into the delivery room..and after three strange pushes (I could not feel a thing. My legs kept flopping all over the place) he was out! Timothy James (TJ) Ranagan. 3lbs 13oz 16 1/2 inches long born Sept. 15 @ 10:24 pm. They cut his cord and rushed him in to be cleaned and checked and taken to the Newborn ICU. Tim went with TJ and my mom stayed with me. It was such a wierd experience, but well worth it. I was taken to my room to recover and all was well.

Tuesday: Everything was great. I was tired, but things seemed to be getting better. TJ was doing wonderful and my platlids had started to rise....slowly. The prognosis was that I would be going home Wednesday or Thursday if my platlids continued to rise. I got to see TJ and he looked so tiny but so wonderful. He had so many machines hooked up to his tiny little body it was insane, but they all were doing their part to help him stay strong. I slept a lot, drank a lot of water, and tried pumping for the first time......fun.....the day seemed to cruise by.

Wednesday: I hadn't slept very well during the night and wasn't feeling so hot by around 6 am. I had a little bit of a tummy ache, but passed it off as constipation. The nurse gave me a stool softener and I hoped that would do the trick. But this time I was super nauseated and slowly the pain just got more intense. This time right in the middle of my stomach up next to my ribs. Not at all in the same place as my liver and it seemed to high to be anything with my uterus. Suddenly my temperature began to climb and my blood pressure was through the roof. They gave me some thing for the nausea that completely knocked me out. Before long they were doing an ultrasound to check my uterus, liver, and everything in the middle. They also ordered a blood culture to try to find the cause of these symptoms. They were not associated with pre-eclampsia and just appeared out of no where. They started me on antibiotics and just tried to cover all the bases of whatever this might have been. I had a temperature of 102 and my platlids had dropped to 27. If they got to below 25 they were going to have to do an infusion. And so I waited....and for the rest of the day I had a rediculously high temp. and just felt wierd. My stomach pain went away but the fever didn't. It all just became a waiting game from then on. Waiting for my platlids to go up. Waiting for my liver enzymes, fever, and blood pressure to come down.

Thursday: My fever finally broke around 2 am. Yay! But Dr. Broadbent came and told me that I had to go two days without a fever, my blood pressure had come down a little, and my platlids had to go up so they could pull out the epidural...yes it was still in my back. They couldn't take the epidural out until my platlids were around 100 for fear that if they broke a tiny blood vessel pulling it out and that bled into my epidural space my blood wouldn't clot fast enough and then I would be paralyzed. So that was fun news. I got to hold TJ today! It was so wonderful. He was super sweet and just laid there so calmly in my arms. I can't wait to hold him without all the wires and tubes. Thursday morning my platlids were around 35...it was going to be a long wait.

Friday: I finally washed my hair! My mom came and washed it for me and boy did I need it. My platlids were at 58 and my blood pressure was up and down. I went outside to eat lunch, hooked up to IV and all! It was so nice to get out of the hospital if even for a little while. I held TJ twice today and got to feed him. There is a tube that runs to his tummy and you just push a little bit of food in at a time with a syringe. Dr. Broadbent said that if my platlids were high enough I could go home on Saturday! YAY

Saturday: My platlids jumped from 58 to 96. I was going home! They pulled out the epidural, I got to take a shower (boy did I need that too!), I had to wait for one more IV of antibiotics to run through and I was out of there by 4! :D

So this was a pretty crazy week. TJ is doing great. He looks wonderful. He lost a little bit of weight, which is normal, and has started slowly putting it back on. I have been feeling good since I've been home and I wish I could live in the NICU. But that probably wouldn't work. They say he could be home in around 40 days..so we're keeping our fingers crossed and just want him to come home safe and sound. Here's some fun pics of the week...enjoy :D



7 comments:

  1. Thanks Jade,
    The pictures make everything we've been through this week seem so worth it! We love having TJ here safe and sound. Our prayers for him and for you and Tim will continue...for always.
    I Love You Three, T and J and TJ
    ***MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jade, my sister mentioned something to me about you having the baby this early and she said that you could've been a goner and I have been so worried for you! I'm so glad that all is going well and that you are doing good. I really was so so worried, I'm so glad that you are ok. I'll keep all of you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh, HOLY CRAP!! I'm so glad things are working out!! Ill keep you in my prayers sweety. Three pounds...crazy!! congrats and I hope things continue to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jadie-Jade, I'm so glad you're doing better and that little TJ is doing so awesome. I was so worried about you guys. Can't wait to see you! All my love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're all ok! The day you get to hold TJ without allthe wires will be the best day in yourlife. For us it meant he got to come home the next day. I'm not sure what their NICU nurses are like butmake sureyou get to do all the tings moms should get to do, change the diapers, bathe him, all that fun stuff. I to wanted to livei n the NICU but take this time to get all the sleep and rest you can. I love you and your little guys is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you are home now, it was pretty scary there for a while. I am really glad I got to be there for the delivery - he is going to be a big boy when he gets a little older, just wait and see. Take this time to rest and rebuild your energy reserves - you will need them when TJ gets to come home. Love you guys, Aunt Renee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo Whooo! Jade is home... I can't imagine what you have gone through, all I can say is we are so glad you are on the mend and that your super sweet little boy is doing so well. I love your whole family and will continue to send prayers your way.

    Love you,
    ~Auntie K.

    ReplyDelete